6

Scarning

SS Peter and Paul

GF

6, tenor 14-2-18 in E

Wednesday 19:00 until 20:30

Sonorous would be a good description of these beefy slow-turning ‘old style’ bells. They are rather loud outside but pleasant to listen to nonetheless. There were three bells recorded here in 1552 which provided the metal for a new ring of five in 1697 cast by Charles Newman, an itinerant founder. Gillett & Johnston restored the bells in 1931, at the same time adding a new treble but retaining the old bell frame.

The sturdy tower is 16c and has stepped parapets with the four evangelists in residence, one at each corner.  (Roger Peckham).

Location

  • BranchWestern
  • CountyNorfolk
  • PostcodeNR19 2PF
  • DioceseNorwich
  • Latitude52.67231
  • Longitude0.88852
  • Grid RefTF953122

Ringing

  • Bells6
  • Tenor14-2-18 in E
  • ConditionGood
  • AccessibilityGood
  • Wheelchair accessible
  • Practice DayWednesday 19:00 until 20:30
  • Sunday Service Ringing10:30
  • 1st, 3rd and 5th only
  • First PealMinor (3 methods)
  • 14 May 1933

Extra Information

  • Parking in layby to west of church. Toilets in village hall opposite by arrangement.
  • Ground Floor
  • Simulator Available

Membership

0
2001
0
2002
0
2003
0
2004
0
2005
0
2006
0
2007
0
2008
0
2009
4
2010
4
2011
7
2012
7
2013
9
2014
9
2015
11
2016
11
2017
11
2018
11
2019
11
2020
9
2021

Contact

Note : Please do not use the comments form below to contact the tower, use the contact details above.