8

Wells-next-the-Sea

S Nicholas

8, tenor 16-3-16 in F#

Tuesday 19:30

Although it appears to be very traditional looking, St Nicholas is in fact only just over 130 years old. The medieval building was destroyed by fire caused by lightning in 1879.

1890 saw the present ring cast by Taylors replacing the lost ring of eight.

Until 1953 Wells could be reached by train quite easily from Kings Lynn and until 1964 from almost anywhere in mid-Norfolk via Dereham and Fakenham. A branch also ran round to the harbour quay. Alas, very little remains today of this once busy little terminus. However the Wells & Walsingham Miniature railway, built on the trackbed of the GER provides an attraction for visitors.  (Roger Peckham)

Please note: The tower and nave are closed due to repair work on the tower and roof.  Works likely to finish in March 2024. Services in Chancel, accessed via the South-East door.

The bells are not available for ringing while this work is being undertaken (updated 20/10/2023).

Location

  • BranchWestern
  • CountyNorfolk
  • PostcodeNR23 1EQ
  • DioceseNorwich
  • Latitude52.95148
  • Longitude0.85379
  • Grid RefTF918431

Ringing

  • Bells8
  • Tenor16-3-16 in F#
  • ConditionGood
  • AccessibilityUnknown
  • Practice DayTuesday 19:30
  • Sunday Service Ringing10:30
  • First PealPlain Bob Major
  • 27 December 1751

Extra Information

  • Parking: Churchyard or on south side
  • Toilet Available

Membership

0
2001
0
2002
0
2003
0
2004
0
2005
3
2006
5
2007
6
2008
6
2009
9
2010
9
2011
5
2012
5
2013
6
2014
9
2015
11
2016
9
2017
9
2018
9
2019
9
2020
9
2021

Contact

Note : Please do not use the comments form below to contact the tower, use the contact details above.