S Peter Mancroft
The largest ringing peal in East Anglia, the majority of the bells were cast in 1775 by Pack & Chapman. The tenor was recast in 1814 by Thomas Mears II. In 1909 a flat sixth was added, cast by Mears & Stainbank, enabling a true light 8 (18 ½ cwt) to be rung. Finally, in 1997 a sharp treble was added, cast by Whitechapel Bell Foundry. This enables a true light 10 (18 ½ cwt) and a light 6 (9 ½ cwt). The current H-frame was installed by Taylors of Loughborough in 1924. The bells are a challenging ring not only because of the weight but also the very long draft of rope, over 60ft, requiring three sets of rope guides.
The church of St Peter Mancroft is one of only 44 churches in the Greater Churches Network and is a gem at the heart of the city of Norwich. There has been a church on the site since 1075. The current building was begun in 1430 and consecrated 25 years later. Much of the current building's consistent style is founded on this single key phase of construction. The building was designed as a deliberate display of wealth by the merchants of Norwich, it being the second city, after London. Simon Jenkins writes in England's Thousand Best Churches: "Few who enter St Peter's for the first time can stifle a gasp. The sense of space and light is overwhelming. To those who find Perpendicular bland or lacking in shadow or mystery, Norwich answers with a blaze of daylight, as if the sky itself had been invited to pray." (Simon Rudd)
- PostcodeNR2 1QX
- Grid RefTG229084
- Tenor37-3-15 in C
- Short flight of level spiral steps
- Practice DayMonday 19h45
- Sunday Service Ringing09h15 17h45
- First PealPlain Bob Triples
- 02 May 1715
- The West Gate underneath the tower is open during practice times and access is via a small external door on the south side of the tower. There is an additional treble and flat sixth.
- Toilet Available
- Broads Tower