8

North Elmham

S Mary

8, tenor 14-0-1 in F#

No practice

The heavily buttressed perpendicular tower is 14th century whilst parts of the church date back to Norman times. The six medieval bells were replaced in 1757 by a heavy eight (around 20cwt) from Joseph Mallow’s Dereham foundry. Less than 200 years later they were deemed unsatisfactory and replaced in 1962 by the present beautiful sounding octave from Whitechapel.

The old timber frame was retained and this, together with a substantial rope draught has meant that the bells can be a bit tricky at times. However some remedial work recently by Peter Trent has alleviated some of the problems. They are certainly well worth ringing on. (Roger Peckham)

Location

  • BranchWestern
  • CountyNorfolk
  • PostcodeNR20 5JU
  • DioceseNorwich
  • Latitude52.75458
  • Longitude0.94440
  • Grid RefTF988215

Ringing

  • Bells8
  • Tenor14-0-1 in F#
  • ConditionFair
  • AccessibilityModerate
  • Access via a spiral staircase with a large step into the belfry that some may find difficult.
  • Practice DayNo practice
  • Sunday Service RingingNone
  • First PealPlain Bob Major
  • 02 January 1758

Membership

1
2001
1
2002
0
2003
0
2004
0
2005
0
2006
0
2007
0
2008
0
2009
0
2010
0
2011
0
2012
0
2013
0
2014
0
2015

Contact

  • No contact information is available

Leave a Comment