The magnificent church that you see today was built during the period 1377 to 1450 in the perpendicular style. The chancel was rebuilt between 1855 and 1861 when there was a major restoration. It was one of the first churches in the Norwich Diocese to be re-ordered following the Oxford Movement and the ensuing revival in the Anglican Church.
The bells had stood silent for over 70 years due to an unsafe wooden bell-frame in the upper belfry and or a number of years the sound of recorded bells was played through large loud speakers mounted on the old wooden frame. Early in the 1990s a decision was made to get the bells removed from the old frame, restored and retuned and refitted in a new frame lower down in the tower beneath the old frame (the old wooden frame remains in situ in the upper belfry).
The current treble and 3rd bells were repaired by welding at Soundweld, Newmarket, Suffolk, before all six bells were tuned and equipped with all new ringing fittings for re-hanging in a new fabricated steel frame during 2000 by Tony Baines. (Chris Harrison).
- PostcodeNR29 4PR
- Grid RefTG454184
- Tenor12-2-8 in F
- Access to the ringing chamber is via a wooden stairway and then a loft ladder.
- Practice DayWednesday 19h30
- Sunday Service Ringingby arrangement
- First PealMinor (7 methods)
- 31 March 2002
- Toilet Available
- Broads Tower
- Chris Harrisonemail
- (01493) 748372