Minster Ch of S Margaret
These impressive deep toned bells ring out across the ancient town and port from the North West Tower. The twin towers are unusually very different from each other in style and dimensions, the South West tower of Norman origin being the older of the two. The church, founded more than 800 years ago by the first Bishop of Norwich, was once much larger and attached to a priory.
The present bells are based on a ring of eight cast at Whitechapel in 1766. The treble and second were added in 1887, presented by the Mayor and his wife on the occasion of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. The bells were re-dedicated on Sunday 20th November 2005 having been re-tuned and re-hung in a new frame by Taylor’s of Loughborough. The ninth has been re-cast. The ringing room was also reordered at this time. (Roger Peckham)
King's Lynn Minster is currently unavailable for ringing due to major building work. The work is due for completion in July 2019. In the meantime there is no ringing practice at the Minster, however there is now a weekly practice at St Nicholas.
- PostcodePE30 5DU
- Grid RefTF617198
- Tenor28-1-4 in C
- Steep wooden staircase that some may find difficult
- Practice DayWednesday 19:30 Ringing currently suspended due to building work - see above
- Sunday Service Ringing09:30
- Ringing currently suspended due to building work - see above
- First PealGrandsire Triples
- 20 January 1747
- Parking in church grounds limited, alternative Market Place (metered).
- Peter Jacksonemail
- 07824 505367
- 55 Goodwins Road , King’s Lynn PE30 5PE