S Mary V
Bells one and two are the only survivors of the 18th century ring of five. They are un-inscribed but thought to be by the Norwich founder Samuel Gilpin who worked in the city between 1677 and 1705. The third was recast in 1923 by the Whitechapel bell foundry.
For many years after the First World War the bells were not rung regularly and by the 1990’s the condition of the frame and fittings had deteriorated considerably. With the approach of the millennium a concerted effort by local volunteers was made to bring the bells back to ringing order and today they are once again rung regularly.
Part of the churchyard is given over to those who lost their lives whilst serving at nearby Bircham (Newton) which, during WW2 was the centre of Coastal Command’s operations on the East coast. (Roger Peckham)
- PostcodePE31 6GP
- Grid RefTF770326
- Tenor9-0-17 in A
- Open stairs followed by a narrow spiral staircase will be difficult for some
- Practice DayThursday 19h00
- Sunday Service Ringing09h00
- First PealDoubles (3 methods)
- 06 August 1950
- The Tower Contactemail