8

Ashill

S Nicholas

8, tenor 9-2-27 in F#

Thursday 19h30

Ashill Church Image

Ashill Church

In 1617 John Draper of Thetford cast a ring of five, probably using the metal from earlier bells. The tenor weighed approximately 15 cwt. Thomas Osborn of Downham Market recast the heavy tenor in 1788 to provide a new treble and second. The original second became the fourth after being “chip” tuned to sharpen it thus producing a lighter ring of six with a tenor of around 10 cwt.

The Mediaeval timber frame was replaced in the early or mid 1800’s by a locally built frame whilst retaining the original supporting beams. By the 1970’s the frame and fittings had deteriorated to the extent that ringing ceased until 1989 when temporary repairs to frame and fittings were made. Ringing restarted with the formation of a new band. A new ringing gallery was constructed in 1992.

1993 saw the launch of a major restoration scheme and in 1996 the bells were retuned by the Whitechapel bellfoundry and rehung in a new iron and steel frame by Whites of Appleton with the help of local volunteer labour. Two new Whitechapel trebles completed the octave in 1997. (Roger Peckham)

Location

  • BranchWestern
  • CountyNorfolk
  • PostcodeIP25 7AW
  • DioceseNorwich
  • Latitude52.60285
  • Longitude0.78053
  • Grid RefTF884042

Ringing

  • Bells8
  • Tenor9-2-27 in F#
  • ConditionExcellent
  • AccessibilityGood
  • Short flight of even spiral steps
  • Practice DayThursday 19h30
  • Sunday Service Ringing09h00
  • except 5th (17h45)
  • First PealPlain Bob Minor
  • 16 November 1911

Extra Information

  • Toilet Available
  • Simulator Available

Membership

13
2001
16
2002
16
2003
18
2004
18
2005
19
2006
19
2007
18
2008
16
2009
20
2010
21
2011
18
2012
18
2013
16
2014
13
2015

Contact

  • Mrs Wendy Peckhamemail
  • (01760) 440952

Leave a Comment